Riggins bar was used as a camping area by
Nez Perce Indians . In 1863 Mike Deasy stopped on the
bar long enough to find traces of gold on the north end.
He went on to mine at Florence and Warren, but returned a
few years later to placer mine, while he wintered his horses
on the bar. Deasy's claim was traded in 1893 to Isaac
and Mary Irwin for two horses and a gold watch. Irwin
moved his family of five boys down from Meadows Valley and
they built the first house on the bar. Isaac was a
member of the initial state legislature in Boise.