In the summer of 1863 a party led by John Stanley, from whom
Stanley Basin is named, found encouraging color on the Yuba
River, two miles west of what in now Atlanta, and organized
a mining district there. By mid-October a hundred
miners were at work. In November an extensive
quartz-gold deposit, 1 1/2 miles long and about twenty feet
wide, called the Atlanta lode, was discovered just east of
the Yuba River.