In August, 1862, a prospecting party
with Moses Splawn, Dave Fogue and George Grimes discovered
placer gold about seven miles northwest of what is now Idaho
City. Grimes was shot, perhaps by Indians, and the
party returned to Walla Walla. Their news made the
area, known as Boise Basin (eighteen miles square), the
scene of the biggest gold rush since California's Mother
Lode. The party returned from Walla Walla in October,
and founded Pioneer City (Pioneerville). Three other
camps soon studded the creek banks: Placerville,
Centerville, and Bannock City, which was renamed Idaho City
by the Territorial Legislature.
East of Idaho City are the tributaries' of the main Boise River.
The North Fork, Middle Fork, and South Forks of the Boise River are wonderful recreation